Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Getting the "Nikon" vivid colors from a Canon 40D




If you read my previous post on getting vivid colors out of Canon 50D images using Canon picture style editor, you may be interested in this post too.

I have created a lightroom template file, which tries to vividify the greens/blues/yellows in a Canon 40D landscape image just like a Nikon D90 result.

Here are a few samples:












Updated 02/20/2010. I get many emails every week asking for my custom picture styles, and how to upload them to your camera. Here are the answers:

[1] If you are interested in a copy of the picture styles that you can import to your Canon 50d camera, download them from this link. No catch here, its available for free. I am a big proponent of the "free resources for all" policy:-)


[2] Check this link for how to upload a custom picture style to your Canon camera, provided your model supports it. If it doesnt support it, you can still apply picture styles after you download pictures to your computer.

3 comments:

  1. Could elaborate on how do you do
    it? Could you do it using white balance in camera or you have to
    do it in computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Y,

    I did it with Canon's picture styles. As you may know, Canon's Picture Styles are a way to customize the scene settings that convert a RAW image to the final JPEG image.

    I created some custom picture styles that vividify dull Canon 50D RAW images as you see from above. To use them, you need to choose Auto White Balance in Canon's DPP editor, then load the picture style I created. If you need these picture styles, please let me know at pixel DOT life AT gmail DOT com.

    Hope that helps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prash, I was reading you blog about to make Canon color like to Nikon. I really want to have that style for my Canon, however the link to "CanonCustomPictureStyles.zip" file said that the file don't exist (The link is not broken, I get a list of files, but when trying to download, it shows me a page saying the file don't exist more longer).

    Sorry to bother you, but I will really appreciate your help by giving an alternative link to "CanonCustomPictureStyles.zip".

    Thank you for sharing all you "Imaging" knowlage! You blog is really good and useful.


    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete